Despite its name, the Tibetan Terrier was bred in India and has no blood relationship with other terriers. The pet is unpretentious in the maintenance, perfectly gets on in any conditions and is able to become a real friend. Unusual appearance and peace-loving character makes the dog a welcome pet in every home. Together with good-natured temperament the Tibetan terrier combines features of an excellent hunter and watchman. The pet is distinguished by a developed intellect and is easy to train. Let us consider the characteristics of the breed in more detail.
About the origin
The Tibetan Terrier is one of the oldest breeds. The birthplace of the long-haired animal is India, where the dogs were used as shepherds. Thanks to ingenuity and developed mental abilities, the terriers perfectly coped with large flocks. However, the breed could not stand the competition with the Tibetan mastiffs, "thanks to" that the pets increasingly referred to monasteries for protection.
There is a misconception that the breed was bred in England. Foggy Albion became the second place where the breed was distributed. Brought her famous doctor Greigom, who literally fell in love with pretty and friendly dogs.
The first specimens were recorded in England in 1926 as Lhasa terriers. Their current name was given to pets after 4 years, after the breed became part of the "Kenell" club and an international standard was adopted.
The dog is a medium-sized pet with a thick, long coat. Tibetan Terrier photo - international standard of the "exterior" of the breed:
- The head is a square shape, a long coat that does not fall on the eyes and does not create obstacles to vision. On the lower jaw there is an abundance of wool, resembling a beard;
- The shape of the skull is proportional, has a slight narrowing from the ears to the eyes, does not have convex or flat zones;
- Muzzle - the breed has a black nose, a strong front part, the length from the eyes to the nose is equal to the length from the occiput to the eyes. Pets have developed lower jaw, the bite of dogs has the form of scissors. Cheeks do not bulge, they have a curved shape;
- Eyes - a rounded shape, large size, arranged fairly widely, the traditional color of the eyes is brown;
- Ears - dogs have hanging ears that loosely adhere to the head and are covered with an abundant layer of wool;
- Neck - well-developed and muscular, sets the head above the level of the back, there is a smooth transition to the shoulders;
- Body - a strong and muscular appearance, a straight line of the top, the breed has a short, convex loin, well curved ribs;
- Tail - the average length, curled in a curl over the back, covered with abundant hair. There are tails in the tail, which is allowed by international standards;
- The forelegs are long paws covered with thick fur, the humerus bones are long and well inclined, the shape of the paws is not arched;
- Hind legs - developed musculature, differ in good knee angle. Like the forelimbs, they are covered with a thick layer of wool;
- Wool - the Tibetan terrier has a light undercoat, and a thick layer of wool, the hairline is quite stiff and not fluffy. The wool can have an even or undulating structure. The traditional dog color is gray, white, cream black. Invalid colors are only liver and brown;
- Size - the average height at the withers is about 40 cm.
The temperament of the breed is the Tibetan Terrier
The nature of the dog can be called the most, that neither is calm. Such a breed is excellent for families with children or couples who are expecting a supplement in the family. Alone with the owner the terrier is very friendly and playful, preserves youthful habits even in adulthood. However, peace and phlegmatic tend to disperse when a stranger appears on the threshold of the house.
Historically, the terrier is designed to protect and protect, so dogs are wary of outsiders. The pet is great for private homes, zealously refers to its territory and is ready to defend it until the last breath.
Tibetan terriers are somewhat phlegmatic in the family circle and suffer virtually any "mockery" from children. Dogs calmly refer to numerous hair care procedures that are necessary and regular.
Breed The Tibetan Terrier shows its friendliness to other inhabitants of the house. You can boldly get a terrier, even if the house already has other animals. Dogs are very communicative, do not pretend to lead the family, are not jealous of the owner to other pets.
Animals easily manage sheep flocks due to their developed intelligence and independence. They are very amenable to training and can memorize an impressive number of commands from the host. In addition, the breed is characterized by natural cunning. If the trained dog team does not like it, then it simply can pretend that it does not understand you. Terriers can be puzzled if you find traces of their antics. Although the breed is not inclined to give trouble to the owners.
Tibetan breed is very sensitive to cries and punishments from the household. Therefore, it is better to forget about the use of brute force as a measure of upbringing. This can cause serious damage to the psychological health of the dog, "thanks to" which the family friend and the guard from it will not succeed.
Tibetan Terrier - the main questions
- What type of house is suitable for maintenance - the breed adapts to any conditions and can feel comfortable even in a one-room apartment. The main criterion of the content is attention and affection to the pet;
- What kind of masters the breed is suitable for - adult individuals are distinguished by calmness and peace, they are able to adjust to the temperament of the household. Puppies are excessively active and restless, for proper education requires a firm hand;
- Physical activity - The Tibetan Terrier is a hardy dog that can overcome many obstacles. However, pets can adapt to the lifestyle of the owner and be satisfied with even short walks;
- The propensity to learn - the dogs tend to please the household, so literally on the fly the teams grasp. Capable of remembering dozens of phrases and hundreds of master words. However, early and consistent training is necessary to achieve results;
- The advantages of the breed Tibetan Terrier - are family-oriented, characterized by increased loyalty, lack of aggression, developed intelligence, excellent watchdog skills.
Are there any shortcomings?
Like any breed, the Tibetan Terrier has its vices. The first danger is obesity, which will inevitably overtake the animal, if the owner does not give him sufficient physical exertion. Therefore, when building a terrier, it is recommended to focus on long walks or at least active games with a pet within the house.
The weak point of the breed of the Tibetan Terrier is also the teeth. In dogs, often there is caries, so you need to keep a proper diet and carry out regular, cleaning procedures.
Infectious diseases are also a problem of this breed. Despite the excellent health and endurance, it is recommended to make annual vaccinations that will save the pet from possible ailments. Pets prone to the following diseases:
Hereditary diseases in pets are extremely rare.
Care rules - from simple to complex
Tibetan Terrier is notable for its unpretentiousness and adaptation to almost any living conditions. However, the dog has a thick, long coat, which requires special care. Regular procedures are necessary to maintain a good appearance and create comfortable conditions for the pet.
The type of wool and undercoat depends on the color of the pet, this factor determines the frequency of the necessary procedures. To care for the dog's hair, a special brush with metal teeth is required. Comb the pet is necessary once a week with massage movements.
Combing the cover is necessary along the hair growth line. If the wool is particularly hard, then before the procedure it should be slightly moistened. Beginning is recommended from the tips, smoothly turning to the roots. The more often you care, the less time you will have to spend. After all, regular combing does not allow the wool to become entangled and to form coils.
Water procedures are also an essential aspect of animal care. Very dirty wool is useless to try to comb, so it must be washed beforehand. Wash only the scalp, not rubbing shampoo into the skin. The fact is that the epidermis of the dog is very sensitive to the composition of soap funds and irritation may appear.
After the "bath" you need to wrap the pet in a thick towel to remove excess moisture. Use dryer for drying is not recommended, as this negatively affects the appearance of the coat. It is better to dry the terrier naturally.
Puppies may have increased tearing. This process is normal, because it is caused by the abundant growth of the coat, which gets into the eyes and causes irritation. As the puppy grows older, it goes away. At an early age, it is recommended to wipe your eyes with a cotton swab dipped in warm water or a solution of tea several times a week.
Follow is also required for the length of the claws of the pet. If the dog lives in a private house and has an unlimited opportunity to sharpen claws on the ground and trees in the yard, then the cropping may not be necessary at all. When keeping the dog in the apartment, it is necessary to cut off the claws every six months, and also to cut the wool from the pads on a level with the pads.
To care for the teeth will need a special bone, which removes plaque and prevents the appearance of tartar. If necessary, brush the oral cavity of the animal with a normal brush without applying toothpaste.
Preferred ration of the terrier is not much different from the usual dog menu. The only condition is diversity. Dogs can not be fed with the same food for a long time, otherwise it will affect the condition of the coat and stomach of the terrier. The recommended products are various cereals, meat, bones, vegetables. A pet can share almost any ration of hosts.
Feed the puppies of the breed The Tibetan Terrier needs about 7-8 times a day. In this case, portions should be tiny to protect babies from overeating. Adult individuals eat less often, but the portions are correspondingly larger. After each meal, you should wash the dishes of the pet so that no harmful microorganisms are introduced. An indispensable condition for keeping a Tibetan terrier is constant access to clean water.
A real delicacy for dogs is beef and seafood. Pets are also very fond of crackers from black bread, which not only suits them to taste, but also perfectly clean teeth from plaque. Please note that meat should be at least 30% of the pet's diet. Chicken is a permitted product for the breed, but it can only be given in cooked form. Dairy products can also be present in the diet of the pet. In preparing a terrier, you can not use seasonings other than salt.
The Tibetan Terrier is almost the only breed that recommends specialty foods, rather than homemade food. However, when choosing a manufacturer, you should consult a veterinarian . Reviews of dog owners about feed are often different, so you only need to trust a specialist.
Prices, where to buy?
Tibetan Terrier is quite a popular breed, so there will be no problems with the purchase of the puppy. If you plan to take part in competitions and exhibitions, then you should buy a terrier in specialized nurseries with documents. If you want to get a dog "for the soul", then you can buy it by numerous ads or "by hand".
Depending on the pedigree of the puppy, its cost can vary significantly. The average price is about 550 dollars . To start a puppy is recommended at the age of several months, while the pet should immediately show who is the master of the house. Then the Tibetan Terrier will unquestioningly listen to you, performing any commands.