Keratitis in dogs is an inflammation of the cornea. Often, it is caused by trauma, although it is also a symptom of infectious hepatitis or plague of dogs . This is the easiest form of superficial inflammation of the cornea, in which the epithelium and sometimes the Bowman shell are affected.
Keratitis in dogs has many forms. It can be infectious, superficial purulent, flukenuleznym, deep (parenchymal), point, catarrhal, vascular.
Symptoms of keratitis in dogs
- The main symptom is the opacity of the cornea, which occurs very quickly, literally for several hours. The surface of the cornea becomes white-bluish or ashen-gray, as if roughened.
- The animal avoids the light, frowns, tears flow from the eyes. Later in the cornea of the eye from the periphery begin to grow vessels, making it almost transparent, uneven, gray-red color.
- With superficial purulent keratitis, purulent exudate is released. The cornea swells and becomes whitish-yellow. The disease can go into the corneal ulcer.
- With a superficial vascular keratitis along the course of the vessels, the connective tissue grows into the cornea.
- Phlyctenular keratitis is more common in collies, German and East European sheep dogs. With the long course of the disease, the third eyelid thickens, becomes tuberous. On the cornea appear nodules round in a grayish color. With a long flow, they merge, ulcerate, the cornea becomes gray-red and bumpy.
- For deep (parenchymal) keratitis is characterized by a swollen cornea of white or white-yellow color. Often there is a conjunctivitis and iritis.
Treatment of keratitis in dogs, medications
For successful treatment, first of all, it is necessary to eliminate the cause, which caused inflammation of the cornea.
- To remove inflammation, the conjunctival sac is washed with antiseptic solutions: furacilin, 1% rivanol, 2-3% boric acid.
- Surface catarrhal keratitis is treated with drops of 20-30% solution of sodium sulfacil or 0.25% solution of levomycetin in combination with subconjunctival injections of 0.5-1 ml of 0.5% solution of novocaine and 0.1-0.2 Ml hydrocortisone. Also, eye ointments with antibiotics are used 2-3 times a day.
- With superficial vascular keratitis additionally prescribed resorption therapy: daily enter the vitreous body subcutaneously for 20-30 days and make 4-5 injections of the placenta suspension.
- With phlyctenular keratitis, vitamin drops are needed in the conjunctival sac and intramuscularly with 30 injections of vitamin B6 . Also prescribe a salt-free and non-carbohydrate diet with multivitamins.