When you choose a veterinarian for a dog, you try to learn as much as possible about his clinic and the specialist himself, because you trust him with your friend and the health of your dog will depend on the veterinarian's qualification for many years.
At many visit to the veterinarian is connected with serious stress, and as a result of it - with absent-mindedness and forgetfulness. And how? Your dog has blood, it hardly breathes or does not lie at all - it's impossible to remain calm! But no matter how much you do not worry, in order to properly and timely help the animal, you need to clearly answer the questions of the veterinarian.
In order not to get confused, it is very useful to keep your pet's health history. It will become a real diary of the animal's life, and at a critical moment can even save his life.
Write down everything there: menus, estrus, diarrhea, refusal to eat, periods of taking anthelmintic drugs, vaccinations, habits and strange behavior. Specify the exact date, the names of the drugs, the symptoms, the reaction of the animal to one or another medicine or food. All this will help the veterinarian diagnose the disease and, accordingly, quickly cure it.
If there is time for this, just before a visit to the doctor make a list of questions and answers for yourself to refresh the memory. This is necessary to describe the picture for the doctor completely. If necessary, he himself will ask you additional questions, but the problem may be that you do not remember the exact date or any, at first glance, trivia, in fact turned out to be important details. Try to anticipate the doctor's questions in advance and answer them - in this you will also help the dog's well-being history.
Here is an approximate list of questions a veterinarian can ask the dog owner:
- What disturbed you in the dog's behavior? How did it change?
- When did it start and how exactly? When found? (Specify the exact date)
- How much does the pet eat and drink compared to his usual portion?
- Does the dog have vomiting or diarrhea? How often? What Colour? What is the content (slime, blood, pieces)?
- How often does the pet go to the toilet? When did you last go?
- Than eats? Write down the exact name of the food brand.
- Did the weight of the dog decrease? How much?
- Is there a runny nose, cough or photophobia?
- Are there any secretions from the eyes, nose, or genitals? What Colour?
- When was the last time you gave the pet preparations from worms?
- When was the last vaccine done? Which one?
- Was there something like this before? If so, what were they treated for?
- If the dog is limping, try to identify and remember which paw it hurts to show the doctor, because on the table with the veterinarian the dogs often stop limping.
When the veterinarian diagnoses, write down all his advice and recommendations. Do not hesitate to take notes during a conversation with a doctor - you can not rely solely on memory, in a stressful state it does not work as impeccably as usual.
If you do not know how to handle the medicine (with ear drops, for example), ask the doctor to show you how it is done, instead of trying on your own on a sick animal.
How often happens: you come to the doctor, you are afraid that he will say something terrible, you are nervous, everything flies out of your head, and only afterwards, when you return home, you realize that you did not ask half of what was going to happen. A slight panic begins ... To avoid this, directly at the reception, ask the doctor if you can call him back if you have any questions. A good veterinarian will not refuse you such a request. And if you refuse - this is an occasion to think about how to turn to another specialist in the future.
After taking it, be sure to write down the name and address of the clinic where you were, the name of the doctor treating him, the date of taking, the names of the prescribed medicines and the dosage in the pet's history of well-being. If possible, ask the veterinarian to document your visit with a seal. Unfortunately, as we already mentioned, not all people are in their place. You should be sure that the specialist who examined your dog and made appointments is responsible for his words.
Do not forget to write down in the diary how the condition of the pet has changed after the treatment, whether he has been helped by medications. And most importantly - be attentive to your beast. There are situations when his life will depend only on you. Do not fail him.