A liquid stool in a dog is called diarrhea. At the same time, it is very important how frequent it is, the amount and type of stool. Diarrhea can be a sign of a large number of very different diseases from the simplest to the most dangerous.
Most often it is a sign of problems with the digestive system.
The causes and symptoms of diarrhea in dogs
- The most common cause of loose stools is a change in diet. It can be:
- Damaged products,
- A new product in the diet (sugar, raw eggs, onions, raisins, currants, nuts, beans, carrots),
- Too much food that weakens (kefir, yogurt, liver, giblets, milk).
- A liquid stool can cause a switch to a new dry food or the dog could eat something on the street.
- In puppies, a loose stool arises simply from overeating.
Also, often a loose stool is found in a sick dog with an increased body temperature. For example, with viral or bacterial infections, penetration into the body of endoparasites. Deficiency of enzymes can also lead to a loose stool. Diarrhea can be the result of stress, for example, during an exhibition, a move.
The main symptom of diarrhea is a loose stool, but there may be other signs that determine the causes of the disease. For example, fever, frequent urination, increased thirst, abdominal pain (the animal walks hunched, prefers to lie down). Since frequent causes of loose stools are problems with the gastrointestinal tract, it is not uncommon to see symptoms such as vomiting . It is important to monitor the stool - its color, amount, mucus or blood content.
What to do if the dog has a loose stool: treatment of diarrhea
- If a loose stool appears in the puppy, you need to consult a veterinarian as soon as possible - this may be a symptom of a very dangerous viral disease.
- First of all, you need to stop feeding your dog, whatever it was, at least 12 hours, and preferably a day.
- You can give her activated charcoal at the rate of 1 tablet per 10 kg. At the same time, there should always be available boiled water. The animal should be in a calm environment.
- For the first time after a diarrhea a dog can cook a little rice porridge with fish.
- If two hours after eating the diarrhea does not start within 2 hours, you can give a little more food. On such a diet the dog needs to be held for a couple of days.
If diarrhea continues or if other dangerous signs of the disease, for example, blood in the stool, vomiting with foam, it is necessary to contact the veterinarian as soon as possible, to submit samples of feces for analysis.