There was a long-awaited winter with a thorny frost, crunching under the snow and a mournful song of a blizzard. Furry pets try to persuade the owners to take a walk longer, and short-haired - faster to return to a warm and cozy home.
It's time to make sure that walks deliver only joy, and not become another task to solve problems. How do dogs tolerate frost and how can they be protected from freezing?
Protection of dog's paws in winter
Treatment of paws in dogs in winter is the most common problem among owners. The snow adheres to the paws, is hammered between the pads, forming icy lumps, which injure the tender skin. From the cold on the cushions of the paws cracks are formed. Salt irritates the skin on the paws, and the dog's lap, which has previously been in contact with chemical reagents sprinkled during ice, can lead to poisoning of the animal.
The solution to the problem can be shoes for dogs . However, it is not always possible to choose the right option, and not all pets easily tolerate walking in foreign objects for them. To protect the paws Dogs from winter misfortunes will have to perform some procedures:
- Before going out on the street, the pads and the area between them and fingers are smeared with "Vaseline" or a special dog cream that protects the paws of the animal in the winter. Some advise to use butter, but do not spoil the carpet with greasy stains.
- After walking, paws are thoroughly washed in warm water and gently wiped with a soft towel or rag. It is not necessary to be limited only to wiping paws, after all on them the salt or a reagent could get. The use of hot water, rather than warm, can lead to the formation of cracks on the pads of the feet.
- Paw pads and gaps between them should be carefully inspected for irritation, inflammation or cuts. If problems are found, you will need treatment. Best suited lubrication with ointment Levomekol or any other wound-healing agent. After applying the ointment on the paw, put on a child's sock so that the dog does not lick the medicine.
- If irritation appears often enough, you can prepare a decoction from the chemist's chamomile (a teaspoon of flowers for a glass of boiling water). Warm broth (room temperature) poured into the bucket and lowered the dog's paw for several minutes, and then gently soaked with a dry clean rag. Such a decoction can be added to the bowl while washing the paws after each walk.
- Some reagents cause an allergic reaction in dogs, so an antihistamine and an ointment should be used in the first aid kit to remove the local allergic reaction to the skin.
Do not forget that in the winter the claws of dogs practically do not grind about the asphalt, so the owner will have to cut the claws of the animal more often than in other seasons.
How many degrees of frost does the dog withstand?
It depends on several factors. First, the state of health of the dog, secondly the thickness of the wool cover, as well as an importantly full animal or not. Twenty-degree frost of a dog with a thick coat is easily tolerated, but smooth-haired dogs in this weather will simply freeze. To such breeds already at minus 5 it is recommended to use special clothes and footwear.
In Siberia, stray dogs survive and at minus 50 degrees, if they are not sick. They arrange for themselves in the snow special pits and curl up.
How to protect the dog from the cold?
In the most severe frosts, only some breeds of dogs are able to adapt to the cold, mainly thanks to their "warm coat". Shorthair dog breeds, sick or old animals, coming out into the street, start to tremble from the cold. Naturally, there can be no question of a walk, it is good if the dog can quickly cope with all the affairs in the yard.
It is very important in winter to properly care for the dog's hair, namely - do not deal with haircuts, shaving, in other words, trimming. Bathing dogs in the winter is extremely undesirable, it is best to wait for the warm season. If the coat is heavily soiled and bathing can not be avoided, it is necessary to observe the basic rules:
- The house must be warm, and drafts are simply not permissible;
- To bathe a dog is best right after a walk, so that until the next day there is a lot of time left;
- After bathing the animal must be carefully dried with a hairdryer. Wool must be carefully combed to prevent the formation of coils.
The most effective to protect from the cold can only warm clothes for dogs , best waterproof with a heater. In dry, frosty weather, a warm sweater, a waistcoat, a cloak, sewn or self-made or bought at the pet store ready clothes for dogs can be worn on a dog.
The main thing is that clothes for a dog fit in size, do not constrain movement during a walk. Protecting the pet's body from the cold, do not forget about his paws. Protect the pads paws can special shoes for dogs. It can be booties, boots, slippers. Shoes for dogs not only protect their paws from cold, but also protect them from cuts on ice, as well as damage from salt and other chemical reagents, which are sprinkled by the tracks during the ice.
What dangers lie in wait for a dog in the winter: - because of ice - bruises, sprains, dislocations, fractures; - cuts of pads of paws; - allergic reaction "to melting snow" because of the high content of harmful substances in it (in industrial cities); - heavy poisoning with antifreeze, which accumulates on the roadside roadsides and snowdrifts on the highway; - electric shock due to deterioration of the electrical insulation of the wires.