Havana bichon is a small, pretty little dog that can melt any heart. The main distinguishing feature of the breed is a long wavy coat. The homeland of animals is distant Cuba, where the pets were especially revered by the local aristocracy. Like most dogs of the genus Bolonok, Bichon has a pleasant character and innate friendliness. Representatives of the breed are smart and flexible, easily enter the family circle, every day rejoicing the household. We will get acquainted with the national property of Cuba (this is the title of the pet today) closer.
- To sources of origin
- Proper care for the Havana bishon:
To sources of origin
The official country breeder of the breed is Cuba, but many scientists believe that the roots of animals go to the Mediterranean countries - Italy and Spain. There are even indisputable facts that the Havana bishons lived in the houses of the Roman bishops many centuries ago.
At the beginning of the 17th century, with the development of navigation, the dogs landed in Cuba along with Spanish merchants. Here, the animals were crossed with other representatives of the genus Bolonok, and the appearance of the bichon continued to form. In the end, it turned out to bring a dog that meets the high requirements of the attractiveness of the exterior and good-natured character.
Like most miniature dogs, the bichon performed a purely decorative function. The breed was often bred by noble families and ladies with the title. The end of the 17th century was the peak of the heyday of the breed. Due to their obedience and predisposition to training, pets often performed in circus performances.
However, fashion - a very changeable thing and by the beginning of the 20th century the breed was almost forgotten. Her place in the aristocratic society of Cuba and Europe was occupied by other miniature pets, shifting the Havana bishon from the place of the universal favorite.
In 1958, during the Cuban revolution, many families migrated to America, taking with them a few representatives of the breed. This was the salvation for animals, whose population was revived in the US by the club of dog lovers.
Today the breed no longer stands on the verge of extinction, but it is still quite rare in our country. Due to their numerous advantages, dogs often take part in international exhibitions, winning new victories.
International Standard of Havana Bichon:
- Height at withers - up to 28 cm;
- Weight - up to 8 kg;
- Life expectancy - up to 16 years;
- Head - the skull has an oval shape, the transition from the forehead to the muzzle is practically not distinguished. Between the corners of the eyes and the earlobe is formed the right triangle;
- Eyes - round eyes, direct arrangement, dark brown color, the skin around the eyes has a dark pigmentation, emphasizes the expressiveness of the look;
- Ears - are hanging form, covered with a dense layer of descending fur, long, reaching the middle of the head;
- Jaw - scissor bite, non-linear position of incisors is allowed, lips are thin, fit tightly;
- Neck - set high, has a convex shape, flows smooth enough into the withers;
- Body - the straight line of the top, a slightly protruding loin, a bulky chest that creates conditions for wide movements of the forelimbs, the stomach is pulled up;
- Tail - located at the level of the line of the back, has a curved shape, lies on the back, tail length makes up most of the length of the back;
- Limbs - forearms and shoulder blades are the same length, the shoulder blades are set obliquely, the elbows are pressed to the body, they have a straight structure, the pasterns are inclined, the developed thighs, the expressed knee joint, the paws are directed only forward, have a "cat's" structure, protruding pads;
- Wool - coarse and curly cover coat with a soft and fluffy undercoat. When stroking, the fur coat springs. Classical haircut of the bichon - minimal cutting of the wool, so as not to give the impression of angularity, the hair on the head, ears and tail deliberately leave a little longer, the head with a haircut gives a round silhouette, and the top lines - horizontal;
- Color - the traditional palette of color is white, allowed splashes of apricot and cream tones in the ears. Pets of other colors may not be allowed to the exhibitions;
- Dynamics - light trot, the dog evenly rearranges the front and back limbs, the top line retains a straight position, while the neck and head are raised high during activity.
What character does the Cuban have?
The Havana Bichon is a room-looking dog, 100% suitable for apartment maintenance. Representatives of the breed are well suited to lovers of miniature pets, they can become loyal companions, endowing the household with boundless love. Cubans in many characteristics meet the title of "glamorous" dog.
However, their cheerful and cheerful disposition is far from aristocratic manners. Pets are very open and alive, so they are often used in the treatment of various ailments at the psychological level (so-called "animal" therapy).
Communicative is also a key feature of the nature of animals. They easily get along with other pets in the house, whether it be even cats and rodents. They are not jealous and will not pull the blanket over themselves in the struggle for the attention of the household. The breed has the most tender feelings for children. Bichons are ready to participate in various games, tirelessly entertaining your kids.
Cubans are social pets, so without a human society they quickly become sad and uncomfortable. They are happy to accompany the owner on any trips, easily tolerate travel.
Bishons are incredibly sensitive to the intonation of the host . In the case of praise, they will quickly wag their tail and bounce. If you scold the dog, it will make a guilty look and prefer to hide from the eyes of an angry household.
Courage can not be attributed to the developed character traits of the breed, pets are easily frightened, but if the owner is in danger, the pet will rush to defense without hesitation. Dogs possess a sensitive ear, react quickly to movements and sounds, can become a good watchman at home.
The developed intelligence of the pet allows you to quickly remember the commands. For training, simple praise will suffice as an incentive for training. Bichon is one of the moderately active dogs, long walks and physical exertion are not mandatory when the Cuban is kept. Due to this the breed is suitable for elderly people and for families who lead an inactive way of life.
Proper care for the Havana bishon:
- Wool - despite the luxurious fur coat, care for the pet's hair can not be called troublesome. Dogs have a developed sense of cleanliness, do not allow themselves to be smeared even in the heat of the game on the street. It is recommended to comb the Cuban several times a week with a metal brush;
- Bathing - the skin of the pet is sensitive to various shampoos, even professional. Therefore, hygienic procedures should be performed if necessary, but not more often than every 2-3 months;
- Haircut - has a purely aesthetic character, bishons practically do not shed;
- Eyes - a regular inspection is necessary, in case of the formation of nitric acid, a cotton swab should be used, which must first be moistened in a solution of warm water;
- Claws - pruning can be extremely rare, since the length of the claws of the dog is very small by nature;
- Paws - wiping with a damp rag after each walk, inspecting for wounds and abrasions;
- Teeth - the use of toothpaste for animals, which is applied to a special nozzle and clean the oral cavity. In order to prevent the appearance of tartar, tomatoes should be included in the dog's diet;
- Ears - regular inspection, cleaning with a wet tampon. In case of abundant sulfur formation and the appearance of an unpleasant odor, you should consult a doctor.
Diseases specific to the breed Havana Bichon:
- retinal detachment;
- Otitis media ;
- Displacement of the elbow joint;
- Hip dysplasia;
- Kidney failure;
- Insufficiency of the mitral valve;
In general, the breed is distinguished by strong health, has an extensive gene pool, which prevents the appearance of hereditary ailments. The lion's share in maintaining the health of the pet is eating right.
We make the right diet. How to choose food for Havana bichon?
Havana bichon is a decorative breed, so special attention is paid to the appearance of its wool, which must always remain silky and radiant. To maintain a fur coat in a "noble" state can proper nutrition of the pet.
The food for the Havana bichon should for the most part consist of meat products. Many representatives of the breed are very fond of eating fresh fruits. Vegetables will also be useful for dogs, especially tomatoes and cucumbers, which favorably affect the teeth and coat of the Cuban.
As the main type of food you can choose dry food, you can combine them with home cooking. The pet should always have access to drinking water. The number of meals for an adult dog is 2 times a day.
At the same time, bishons like to accompany the family members during the meal and "beg" the food from the table. Do not give in to the tricks of the pet. It is extremely important not to overfeed the animal, as this can lead to the curvature of the intestines and the formation of kidney stones .
Cuban is unpretentious in terms of food and is almost omnivorous, but sweets and smoked products should be completely excluded from his diet. Their use leads to food allergies and deterioration of the wool state.
The main way to cook food for a bichon is cooking. Add spices and salt is not worth it. The puppy's diet is more focused on meat and dairy products, which will allow the skeleton to form properly. The number of servings per day for a baby is 5-6 meals.
Where to buy a puppy of the Havana Bichon how much will it cost?
Experts recommend buying bichon at the age of not earlier than 2 months, otherwise the immune system and psyche will suffer. In Russia there is a large number of official breeders with the right to breed, so finding a suitable nursery will not be difficult. When buying a dog, you should ask the breeder for the necessary certificates and documents, as well as carefully inspect the puppy for compliance with the exterior standards.
Despite its exotic nature, the breed is quite affordable in comparison with other representatives of the species of bolonok. The average price of a puppy will be about 600 dollars . The cost can be reduced if the dogs have an unconventional color. Then the price will be about 450 dollars , but the puppies will not be able to take part in the exhibitions.
Should I start a bichon?
Miniature dog again returns to the rank of universal pet. She combines a pretty appearance and agreeable character, is not afraid of crossings, instantly adapts to changes in the situation. Advantages of the Cuban:
- Good temper;
- Affection and loyalty to people;
- Predisposition to education and training;
- Developed intellect;
- Hospitable attitude to the friends of the owners;
- Livability with other pets;
- Unpretentiousness in care.
The breed is good for people who do not like long walks with a pet and do not want to load it with physical activity. Cuban will be enough 15-20 minutes a day "to breathe fresh air", after which he will happily return to the apartment spaces. Thanks to the adaptation to life in the city, the dog is recommended to get people of retirement age.
The breed has practically no flaws, the main disadvantage in the dog's content can be pranks, which the bishons occasionally allow themselves. However, this happens because of a lack of attention to the animal. A significant disadvantage is also susceptibility to disease.
Havana bichon, photo