The bearded coli is a guard dog ✅, which was formerly used only by Scottish shepherds. Today it is a popular companion dog ✅, which has a lot of advantages. The name of the breed is associated with a long shaggy coat, which forms a beard on the face. A charming pet, who has not lost his hunting skills, is ideal for living in a family ✅. Representatives of the breed are easy to train, adore funny games and get along well with children.
History of the Bearded Collie
The history of the breed dates back to the end of the 16th century, when the low-born sheepdogs introduced by merchants began to interbreed with local collies. Dogs are distinguished by original appearance and no less valuable watchdog qualities. Pets have become real helpers of shepherds, flawlessly coping even with the huge sheep flocks.
The official history of the breed begins in 1981, when the famous cynologist Thomson Gray published a book about dogs in Scotland, where the bearded collie was first described. The Scottish shepherd received world recognition in 1987, when the breed became a participant of the exhibition in Edinburgh. Thanks to Panmur Gordon, an international breed standard was developed, which operated for more than 60 years and became the basis for modern requirements at exhibitions.
In 1912, the first club of bearded collie lovers was created in Edinburgh, but the further development of the organization was prevented by military actions, which had a very negative impact on the condition of the breed (representatives of the bearded collie became less and by the end of the war there were only a few copies).
Great contribution to the development of the breed was made by England, which created numerous nurseries for dogs. The country's charity has become almost a key factor in the preservation of the breed. There was organized a new club of admirers of the breed in 1955. They published a magazine dedicated to pets, as well as new world standards, changes in which only touched growth at the withers.
Over the next 20 years, the bearded collie is gaining an enviable popularity, the breed's representatives are in demand outside of England. In the 1970s, well-known breeders began to breed pets for the show, which are distinguished by long and almost straight hair.
Species of the breed:
- Old - type - elongated head and trunk, coarse and shaggy hair, dark-colored eyes. This breed is the oldest, it does not introduce "adjustments" of breeders. Appearance is somewhat clumsy and rude, "thanks to" that pets are popular less than other bearded brethren;
- Potterdale - differs luxurious long hair and expressive features of the head. Dogs of this variety often become participants in international exhibitions. Hunting instincts of pets are practically not preserved;
- English bearded collie - a breed that absorbed the best features of the first two types. Dogs have a more well-groomed appearance, preserving the developed intellect and ingenuity, developed over hundreds of years of service in humans.
A bearded collie belongs to the number of medium-sized dogs . The growth of dogs is 54 cm at the withers, females are more miniature in size - up to 50 cm. The average weight of pets is 21 kg. Life expectancy of pets is 13 years.
The dog has a muscular physique, but it does not make it look heavy. On the "face" is constantly present an exploratory expression, which is a distinctive feature of the breed.
- Head - has the correct proportion to the size of the body, the muzzle is wide, has a square shape, the distance from the forehead to the back of the head is equal to the length between the ears. The muzzle is characterized by a moderate transition from the forehead to the nose. In most cases, dogs have a black nose, for pets with a blue color, the traditional color is the brown color of the nose. Lobes of lips are one-color, without any impregnations, the pigmentation of the eyelid edges is identical with the color of the nose;
- Eyes - consistent with the color of the pet's fur, the eyes are not convex, are at a considerable distance from each other. Eyebrows long enough, have the form of a vault directed upwards;
- Ears - average size, usually in a hanging position, but in a state of alertness, they can rise slightly;
- Bite - large, white teeth, the breed has a strong jaw with bites in the form of scissors. The location of the teeth is vertical. There is a pincer bite;
- Neck - somewhat curved, of medium length with developed musculature;
- The forelegs - the shoulders are thrown back, the legs are vertical and straight. The extremities are distinguished by strong bones and covering with abundant fur;
- Hind legs - are distinguished by strong shins with developed muscles, have a good angle of the knee joint, limbs are located at right angles to the surface of the body. The paws are oval in shape, the pads and fingers are covered with an impressive layer of wool;
- Body - the length of the back comes out of the chest, and not from the lower back, the ribs are barrel-shaped, fairly arched. The bearded collie has a strong loin and deep chest, which creates enough space for the lungs and heart;
- Tail - has no fracture, is planted low. In a calm state, the tail is kept pressed to the ground with a slight lift on the tip, while the tail is stretched, covered with thick hair;
- Dynamics - the bearded collie moves evenly and smoothly, the dynamics are sweeping and flexible;
- Wool - double layer with a soft undercoat, the structure of the hairline can be smooth and wavy, without curls. The coat is stiff and shaggy. The length is medium, the density increases in the region of the breast;
- Color - traditional are brown, gray, black, sandy palettes. White spots on the muzzle, paws, chest and tail tip are allowed. There may be slight markings of red color at the eyebrows and on the ears.
Characteristics of character
The dog has a cheerful disposition, is always sincerely glad to see its owners, but it is extremely bad for loneliness. The pet is ready to give his attention and love 24 hours to knocking and requires the same feedback from the household. A distinctive feature of the breed is the rapid perception of information. They quickly learn the commands, while the dog does not become a spineless pet, always preserving the "self".
The animal is great for families who lead an active lifestyle. Walking with a playful and playful collie is a pleasure. He is always ready to frolic and run, from the walks in the country the dog is delighted.
For children, a bearded collie is primarily a caring nanny. He responsibly participates in various games, never allow himself to offend or bite a child. With all activity and mobility, the dogs 'homes behave calmly, without interfering with their owners' feet.
Animals have an excellent character, which can not be called timid or aggressive. Collie lives well with other pets. Friendly to the guests at home in the presence of the owners. However, it preserves the genes of the watchman and hunter. He will be the watchful protector of the house.
Collie retains a youthful fuse even in adulthood. With such a pet will never be bored. Walking with a dog is recommended to be carried out without a leash and muzzle, as this "humiliates" the pet's personality. With sufficient attention, the pet will never cause trouble in the house, it will not dirty. In the case of frequent solitude, the dog can bark, attracting attention.
Bearded Collie - the main questions about the breed:
- Are they suitable for the role of a pet? The bearded collie photo shows not only the cheerful appearance of the pet, but also its perky nature. Such a dog is great for an active family, which can pay enough attention to the animal. Collie needs a company constantly, left alone, he can be noisy and dirty. The dog quickly makes friends with older children, is very keen on the babies;
- Does thorough care be required? One of the difficulties of keeping a bearded collie is labor-intensive hair care. Perform these procedures must be done daily, otherwise the wool gets entangled, shreds appear. Sterilized representatives of the breed have a softer fur that will only add to the owners of the work;
- What type of house is suitable for the pet? An active pet is more suitable for keeping in a country house, but it can also get along in an apartment under the condition of sufficient physical activity and frequent walks. Ideal option is a private house with a large territory and a reliable fence;
- For what kind of owners is a bearded collie? The dog needs a master who can devote sufficient time to the pet, taking it up in various games and training. Home favorite is not suitable for people who spend a lion's share of time working. Not suitable for this breed and those who follow the ideal cleanliness in the house, as the dog often sheds and brings dirt to the apartment;
- Is the breed easy to learn? A bearded collie dog is very smart, quickly learns commands and understands the master with a half-word. However, everything depends on the instructor and his manner of teaching. Collies are fairly independent and stubborn dogs. To teach them is necessary with the help of the method of encouragement, otherwise the pet essentially refuses to obey orders;
- What are the positive qualities of the breed? Dogs are famous for their cheerful disposition and well-developed intellect. They are very friendly, affectionate and obedient. Do not show signs of aggression;
- Are there any downsides? Bearded Collie is sensitive to loud sounds that can scare him. Painfully reacts to the cries of the host. Some representatives like to bark loudly;
- What diseases are the breed inclined to? In general, the pet has good health and endurance. However, the following diseases can threaten the dog: thyroid hormone deficiency, eye problems, allergies and immunodeficiency.
What do you need to know about the content?
Despite the abundance of wool, the collie does not need special care. When you plant such a dog, you do not need regular grooming, just comb the hair comb with metal teeth. This is necessary for the removal of fallen hair, otherwise on the wool will inevitably form koltuny, bringing discomfort to the pet.
To accustom dogs to combing is necessary from childhood, otherwise an adult can not be given into the hands of the owner. If the pet lives in an apartment and is not practically spoiled on the street, then it is enough to carry out this procedure 2 times a week for puppies and once a week for an adult dog. Combing the hair should be at least 15 minutes.
A bearded collie photo shows an excellent fur coat, however, to maintain its appearance, it also requires regular bathing, which should be done every few months. With the participation of a pet in exhibitions it is recommended to use professional cosmetics for dogs, which will give the coat shine and silky.
Separate care is required for the main "symbol" of the breed - the beard. It is often spoiled after eating, so it must be washed with water and combed daily. Thick hair often falls on the eyes of the pet, so the breed needs hairdos with hair stuck into the bun.
Specialists recommend wiping the eyes and ears of an animal once a week. Strong and healthy teeth do not need additional care. It is enough to buy special bones in pet stores.
Nutrition of a collie is no different from the diet of its relatives. At least a third of the daily menu should be meat. Dilute it can be porridge, potatoes, vegetables, dairy products. "Dishes" for a pet should only be cooked or stewed. The stomach of the dog does not tolerate fried food, abundantly sprinkled with seasonings. The bearded collie is a notable sweet tooth. However, to indulge the pet is not necessary, otherwise you risk "to earn" a gastritis in a dog.
Features of breeding and selection of puppy
For breeding bearded collies, no additional conditions are required. Dogs quickly create a couple and are caring parents. The peculiarity of the breed is that it is almost impossible to predict the coloring of puppies. Black and gray parents may have gray and brown puppies.
The breed is quite popular, and nurseries are located almost in every major city. It is recommended to buy puppies from professional breeders who have confirmatory certificates and documents.
When choosing a puppy, one should be guided by its age, since the development and external data of the kids can be completely different. It so happens that the winning half-yearly "bearded" exhibition will grow into a medium-sized dog. The ideal age for buying is 7-8 weeks. At this time the puppies are already quite independent, able to perceive the rules of the new home and learn the commands.
It is recommended to choose puppies with a wide and flat muzzle. The matured individuals will have a beautiful "exterior". The length of the body of the toddlers is somewhat smaller than that of the mature individuals, but not less than their growth.
The front and back legs of the puppies should be spaced somewhat wider than those of the parents. This distance will decrease during growth. When moving, the paws of the puppy should not be turned outward. The wool of toddlers must be stiff and straight.
A distinctive feature of the breed is the changing color, which can be transformed beyond recognition in adulthood. As a rule, babies are born darker and grow lighter during adulthood. More stable is the brown color, which practically does not change even in adulthood.
Bearded Collie, photo